Planetary Studies Logo
Do NOT apply any gradient fills or transparency until after you complete
the Powerclip Tool section
Note: Do NOT apply any gradient fills or transparency until after you complete the Powerclip Tool section
Measurements for this assignment are suggested, yours may be different
Note: Measurements for this assignment are suggested, yours may be different
1. Start a new drawing File | New.
2. Change the page size to 300 mms x 200 mms and the orientation to Landscape. Set the grid spacing to 5 mms and set Snap to Grid.
Drawing the Earth
Note: If you are using the freehand/bezier tool you will need to modify the smoothing in order to get the curves.
3. Draw the earth and group it together. Your fill pattern can be anything that adds texture. Note: Do apply any gradient fills until after you complete the Powerclip Tool in step 18
4. Select the earth and change the size to 140 mms x 140 mms. Center it on the page.
Drawing the Sun
5. To create the sun, click the Polygon tool (in Graph) . On the Properties bar, change the value for the Number of Points to 16. Drag out a polygon, using the Ctrl key as well to force equal sides for the polygon.
6. Change the size to 130 mms x 130 mms and the position of the centre to (15,80). Keep the sun selected and select the Shape tool. Move the cursor to the top node at (15,145) so that the cursor now looks like a small arrow with a plus sign. Drag that point in to make your sun
Use Uniform Fill and fill with Deep Yellow then do the outline in Light Yellow and thicken it slightly.
7. Find the Knife tool (on the Shape Edit flyout). This can be used to break the sun into two pieces. Click on the most northern point (the knife changes shape) and then move the knife (don’t drag it) to the most southern point and click there. This breaks the sun into two pieces. Remove the left half of the sun.
Drawing the Moon
8. You should be able to do this now on your own.
Drawing the Text on a Curve
13. To draw the curve for the Text path, click the Bezier tool.
14. Draw a curved line above your drawing
15. Click the Text tool. Change the font to whatever you like and the font size to about 32. Click near the start of the curve that you have just created until the cursor changes.
16. Type the text Department of Planetary Studies. If it does not fill the path, then you can drag round all the text so that it is selected and then change the font size. When you have finished, deselect the text and then select the Bezier curve and delete it.
Using Powerclip on the Title
17. Use the Pick tool to pick the text, click the menu item Text | Format Text and change the font to one that is thick. You will probably need to change the font size.
18. Select all three planets (use the Shift key for multi-selections). First, click Edit | Copy and then Edit | Paste to make a copy of the planets. Keep them selected. Click the menu item Effects | Powerclip | Place Inside Container. When a large arrow appears, point to the text.
you may add gradient fills and transparency to your earth
Now you may add gradient fills and transparency to your earth
this Drawing in your K:Drive > Unit 2 Folder as "planet.cdr"